Friday 14 June 2013

The new Gardener at Dudmaston

3 months ago, moving day.
As this is my first post (of many) I'll take the chance to introduce myself. I'm Mark McCormack, the new assistant Gardener at the National Trust run estate of Dudmaston Hall near Birdgnorth. I studied art when first leaving school and went to Stafford College and then Swindon University while I decided what it was I wanted to do with my life.  I made the decision to go back to college while working at a supermarket chain  to turn one of my interests into a career, horticulture.


Fast forward 3 years, one horticultural degree, a 2 and a half year old son, a new haircut and an imminently pregnant wife later and here I am working in my dream job, living on site at one of the most beautiful estates Shropshire has to offer!


The heather borders in April.
 
 
I started at Dudmaston on the 4th of March and have just about passed my 3 month probation, in that time I've learned, or at least been reminded of the fact that despite walking away from college with a triple distinction in Horticulture at level 3, in the top three of 35 students, as well as working and volunteering in several large gardens and estates, I still have a lot to learn!
In the coming months and years, I'll be trying to update this blog at least once a week, keeping everyone informed of everything that is going on in the gardens, from what work we are doing, upcoming events and even what plants are worth seeing in the gardens right now.....
 
Speaking of which, up in the American gardens; RHODODENRONS AND AZALEAS! Just a small taster of what is currently flowering here at Dudmaston, we have an impressive selection of Rhodo's and Azalias.
 
 

 




 
 







No comments:

Post a Comment